The summer is often considered a time to catch up on rest and relaxation, but for some children, it can be a time of increased anxiety. In some children, the lack of a proper schedule or plan for the day, activities or even travelling for the holiday can impact on their mental health. Some present with anxiety as a result. Here are five tips to help your child manage anxiety during the summer:
- Spend quality time with your kids. Enrolling in summer camp and other fun activities are great, but many children would much rather spend time in the company of their parents. Simple things like cooking a meal together, a summer picnic, or just listening to your kids as they talk about things that interest them can help with their anxiety.
- Make travel plans together. Discussing the places they would like to visit during the summer vacation or explaining to them why you have chosen a specific holiday destination, and having them get involved in the choices and planning, can give them a sense of control and reassurance.
- Ensure balanced nutrition. Indulging in sugary soft drinks and processed foods at summer parties and buffets on a few occasions should be okay, but in general have your children eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Curtail screen time. Just because your children do not have any homework during the summer vacation does not mean they have unlimited screen time. Spending too much screen time means spending less time physically exercising and moving which in turn may lead to becoming unhealthy. It also means spending less time engaging socially with family and friends. Encourage children to play outdoor games that improve overall health and wellbeing.
- Make sure children get enough sleep. Studies have shown that growing children need at least 8-9 hours of sleep every day. Although the sun sets a little later in the summer, children still need the same hours of sleep. Consider nighttime rituals such as listening to relaxing music or reading a bedtime story that will help your child get ready for sleep.
The American Center for Psychiatry & Neurology is a premier medical facility focusing on providing you with the highest quality primary and specialized medical care and health education services. By combining compassion with experience, we are committed to providing quality, comprehensive healthcare services within a friendly and comfortable environment. For all appointments & inquiries, please call 800 ACPN (2276).
For better web experience, please use the website in portrait mode